Skip to main content

Our History

Since 1830

People have been worshipping and praising God in the building on Chapel Hill since 1830.

A plot of land here was leased for 99 years at a rent of 2 guineas. Within 6 months a chapel was ready for use and a certificate of registration for the building as a place of worship was received in 1831.

By 1851 attendees numbered 70, many of whom were workers at the local coal mines but sadly by 1867 there were no regular members. From being a Wesleyan Chapel, it became an Independent Chapel for a number of years until bought by the Minister of Copse Road Independent Church in Clevedon.

In 1891 the Bristol Baptist Itinerant Society took over the running of the Chapel although links with Copse Road were kept.

All in all, Baptists have been welcoming all to praise and worship God in the Chapel for over 125 years

Backwell Chapel
Year Unknown